Come work as a Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker in Gibsons, BC with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker to join our team at Sumac Place in Gibsons, BC. Apply today to join our team! As a Mental Health Rehabilitaiton Worker at VCH you will:
- Provide support to the recovery of individuals living with severe and persistent mental illnesses who require resources beyond the scope of secondary mental health services due to the intensity, complexity or intractability of their symptoms.
- Provide a variety of day-to-day physical, emotional, and social supports, advocacy, life skills assistance and support to access resources to individuals with complex severe and persistent mental illnesses.
- Work collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team to assist in the development of individualized rehabilitative treatment plans.
- Contribute to the overall evaluation of the client.
- Observe and monitor clients’ progress, symptoms and behavioural changes and report significant observations.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Promote independence for client while supporting them with activities of daily living such as personal care, including bathing, grooming, dressing, oral hygiene, toileting needs, perineal care and incontinence supply changes; community appointments/errands/activities; and meal planning and preparation.
- Assist in maintaining a safe environment for clients and the team.
- Participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities, and maintain and updates own knowledge.
ABOUT GIBSONS, BC:
Known as the “gateway to the Sunshine Coast”, located just north of Vancouver, Gibsons is a quaint town overlooking a harbour and features the beautiful backdrop of our coastal mountains. This charming municipality filled with artists, entrepreneurs, and fishing boats is just a scenic 40-minute ferry ride from West Vancouver followed by a short 5km drive from the Langdale ferry terminal. This area is home to the traditional territories of both the Squamish and Sechelt First Nations, and is ideal for residents seeking a relaxing blend of water and land activities. Enjoy an outdoor lifestyle with unlimited hiking, biking, golf, fishing and more in a community rich in culture.
ABOUT SUMAC PLACE:
Sumac Place is a 28-bed specialized mental health facility located in Gibsons, B.C. It is part of Vancouver Coastal Health’s plan to meet the need for specialized mental health services throughout the region and serves clients from the Sunshine Coast as well as from other locations in the region. Sumac Place serves adult patients with complex mental illness who need further supports in order to optimize their independence and quality of life. Clients are stable and require specialized rehabilitation services as they continue on their recovery journey.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12, Social Services Diploma, or Certificate from a recognized Health Care Worker educational program, such as Health Care Support Worker Certificate, Certificate in Community Mental Health, Human Service Worker Certificate or Addictions Worker Certificate.
- Two (2) years’ recent experience working in a psychiatric setting with individuals who have complex mental health and addictions issues, or other qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work.
- Successful candidates may be required to successfully complete a Food Safe certification course if applicable to the designated program during their orientation/qualifying period in order to be deemed to have successfully passed their qualifying period.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize the work
- Ability to operate related equipment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.