Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the team in the Complex Activation Medical Unit at UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for the Complex Activation Medical Unit patient/client group.
- Participate in discharge planning, function as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated patient/client group - Complex Activation Medical Unit.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Respiratory; Gastrointestinal; Hepatic; Renal; Cardiovascular; Neurological; Glandular procedures; Vascular; Orthopedic).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Respiratory - Pneumothorax, Pleural effusions, Pneumonia, COPD; Renal failure; Genitourinary - urinary retention, UTI, renal impairment/failure; Cardiovascular assessments; Neurological assessments; Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)/Pulmonary embolus (PE); Wound care; Vascular bypass grafts; Gastrointestinal - Bowel resection, GI bleeds; Diabetes; Long-stay orthopedic - incision care, skin grafts; Chest tubes).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with VAC machines; Oxygen therapy equipment; other care related pumps, catheters, tubes, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with insulin administration, IV therapy, delirium treatment in older adults, acute /chronic pain management, withdrawal. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of patients with Resections; Chest Tubes-Chest Drainage Systems; Tracheostomy care; Skin grafts & donor sites.
- Demonstrated skill in Peripheral IV insertion, maintenance; CVC/PICC maintenance; Blood product administration, blood collection, removal; TPN/Parenteral Nutrition.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.