Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Emergency Department at Lions Gate Hospital. Apply today to join our team! This position will be focused in Mental Health and Substance Use Emergency Services.
As a Nurse focused in Mental Health and Substance Use at VCH you will:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for patients and families across their lifespan, within the Psychiatric Emergency Assessment and Treatment (PEAT) Unit within Lions Gate Hospital Emergency Department.
- Provide urgent, direct care to patients presenting in to the emergency department.
- Perform comprehensive physical, mental health and substance use assessments, crisis interventions, stabilization and care planning.
- Provide culturally safe, trauma informed, patient and family centered care while applying medical management and/or self-care management principles, including harm reduction, to conduct assessments, identify problems, provide direct care, and develop a plan of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information based on nursing theory and practice related to patient’s care needs.
- Provide liaison support for patient care and patient flow between the PEAT program, Emergency Department, Mental Health Inpatient Unit, first responders, community health care providers and community partners/agencies, including school counselors.
- Provide direct care to mental health and/or substance use patients awaiting transfer for further assessment or inpatient admission.
- Initiate and participate in case conferences and case management meetings; prepare and maintain patient record; and provide consultative and direct services/care to patients, families, community health professionals/agencies, law enforcement, physicians and emergency room staff.
- Participate in team meetings, continuing education, conferences, and/or corporate initiatives and engages in on-going team planning, development, evaluation and quality improvement activities.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)..
- Two years’ recent clinical experience in emergency, urgent care and/or medical/surgical areas or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Experience in providing emergency healthcare services to individuals within the designated patient population with mental health and/or substance use issues or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to provide comprehensive head-to-toe nursing assessments and interventions related to common diagnosis and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient group (eg. renal failure, wound care, diabetes, sepsis, intoxication, withdrawal, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop a plan of care relevant to the designated patient group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT), oxygen delivery equipment, other care related pumps, catheters, tubes, suctions for the designated patient population.