Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Group Therapist/Suicide Intervention Counsellor with a Master's Degree in Social Work, Clinical Counselling, Counselling Psychology or other relevant discipline to join the team at the Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre. Apply today to join our team!
As a Group Therapist/Suicide Intervention Counsellor you will:
- Provide group therapy and psycho-education according to a variety of theoretical models based on target group.
- Review referrals to group therapy using interview and questionnaires to ensure suitability for treatment.
- Implement client outcome measures and group therapy evaluations to evaluate program and identify opportunities for change.
- Establish, maintain, and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect for the client by seeking an understanding of the client’s perspective, learning needs and readiness to learn.
- Provide crisis intervention, suicide bereavement counselling and therapy to people who are in suicidal crisis, have attempted suicide, those concerned about a loved one who is suicidal and those bereaved by a suicide death.
- Initiate contact with suicide attempt/suicide risk clients.
- Provide treatment services and education to families of suicide victims; and aid client access to therapy services and provide input into care plans.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with multidisciplinary team members, educational resources and other health care professionals/providers to achieve excellence in health services and education.
Education & Experience
- Master's degree in Social Work, Clinical Counselling, Counselling Psychology or other relevant health related discipline.
- Three (3) years recent related clinical experience providing group or individual psychotherapy to clients who have a variety of mental health disorders (including but not limited to depression, anxiety, trauma, psychosis, concurrent disorders, suicidality, bereavement by suicide, suicide prevention) using a variety of theoretical approaches including dialectical behavior therapy and cognitive behavior therapy or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Registration with applicable College/governing body as appropriate.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Comprehensive theoretical knowledge and clinical understanding of group dynamics and processes.
- Knowledge of mental illness and treatment.
- Knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
- Knowledge of psychotherapeutic and counselling skills, and psychoeducation.
- Knowledge of DSM 5 Diagnostic Classification System, the mental status examination, and case formulation.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.